There will be a whole 365 days in 2019 for us to have set goals, have taken action, worked hard, and to have crushed those goals. Year end is a great time to throw modesty out the door and recognize how great your year was and how awesome you are for all that was accomplished. If you did the work, then I don’t care who you are, you deserve to celebrate, so go on..brush your shoulders off.
If you instead stayed on the couch all year again, and your biggest accomplishment was only gaining 10 lbs from all the junk you ate while binge watching all the Netflix original series..well then..might be good to reflect on that also. Still playing the “victim of your situation” game and convincing yourself that you can’t change or grow because “insert your excuse here”. Did that binge or pity party help you or hurt you?
Not trying to brag below I promise you..just trying to prove that you CAN do big things if you set big goals and are ready to take action and put in the work. You can and should think differently about life and the pursuit of happiness..question things and don’t just do what everyone else is doing because it’s easy. Also, I’m sharing some stuff that makes me feel vulnerable and gives a private look into some events in my life over the past year.
If you’re not ready to grow and celebrate success, then please stop reading this and head back to your latest Netflix binge. If you are ready, but not sure where to start, start by grabbing a pen and paper and write down everything you accomplished this year that makes you feel proud to tell others and makes you feel like you have grown as a person. Then go share it with the world!!
See my list below: My 2019 Accomplishments
- Started MySemiBasicLife.com blog and InstaGram account
- Grew organically from 150 followers to 1250 followers
- Helped teaching my youngest to read and my oldest to read and rehearse lines for a major part in a play
- Bought 1st rental property end of March 2019
- Bought 2nd rental property in August 2019
- Bought 3rd rental property in December 2019 (this one with a full cosmetic rehab)
- Was a guest on not one, but two podcasts, and submitted an idea to one of my favorite podcasts, and got to speak with the producer and provide input on a new series (can’t share any more info..sworn to secrecy..lol)
- Became debt free after selling our cars and paying off the remaining of our $165,000 in consumer debt. Nobody to impress now that I’ve changed my value system and if I don’t have the cash for it, then I’m not buying it.
- Completed a No Spend Year of no clothes, shoes, accessories, purses, makeup, haircuts/dye. Turns out I don’t give a shit what others think of me after all, and I don’t need makeup or new clothes to try and impress anyone. “Letting myself go” in the eyes of society by not wearing makeup, rocking my grey hair, and not buying the latest clothing trends feels a lot more like getting comfortable in my own skin. I’ve never felt prettier on the inside and out then I do right now. I also learned to cut my own hair..not getting accepted into cosmetology school anytime soon..lol, but I can do it and it’s fun and free.
- Joined a real estate mastermind group and joined a local real estate investors group and have networked and made several great connections in the industry
- Attempted my first seller finance deal (didn’t work out but was a great learning experience and made some new connections in the process)
- Helped land a few really big accounts at work that required a lot of work and were out of my comfort zone
- Was matched with a little sister through Big Brothers/Big Sisters and continued to volunteer on the family selection committee for Habitat for Humanity
- Survived a lot of loss including losing a good friend to glioblastoma, losing my dog of 17 years, losing a terminal puppy we adopted, a dwarf hamster, and a pet rat. Lastly, there was an advanced stage breast cancer diagnosis for my mom with lots of biopsies, dr visits, chemo rounds, lots of soups/casseroles and will be leading in to surgery/radiation/hormone replacement in 2020.
- Started a gratitude journal that I write in every night.
- Started a daily morning meditation and manifesting the life I want practice.
- After my leg injury finally healed, was back up to running over 5 miles until I got bit by the neighbor’s dog..lol
- Stopped two nasty habits that I have battled on/off for years, smoking and drinking. I still occasionally have a beer or drink, but not like I used to and have been smoke free since 6/1/19!! I’m now focused on enjoying my current situation more and building a life I don’t need to escape from. No judgment to my friends that are still doing these things..just doesn’t fit in my life any longer.
- I read 45 books this year!!
- Experienced 6 figure net worth growth through all of the above focus, hustle and sacrifice
Wow..I DID ALL OF THAT IN ONE YEAR??!! I did notice that I didn’t have as much of a focus on my marriage or kids this past year, and plan to make sure I am placing more focus on those areas of my life in 2020. Of all of those accomplishments, I am most proud of the self love and belief that I can do anything..because clearly I can after seeing my list!! Also, with the belief in myself, I have noticed my risk tolerance is completely different. I am ready to take on risks instead of turning away from them, because I know I will learn and grow from any mistakes, so bring them on!
Did you write a list of goals at the beginning of 2019 that you can compare your end of 2019 accomplishments to? If not, no worries, because I didn’t write any goals out at the beginning of the year either. 2020 marks the beginning of a new decade and new opportunities to start fresh for all of us. Make it the year you stop saying “someday” and finally replace it with today.
Anyone else brave enough to share their year in review??!!