We were so excited to have our renters move in last week, and we will be receiving $1100 a month in rent for this one. I thought it would be a good time to walk through what we learned on our first BRRRR and full interior remodel. We picked up the Indy Beauty from a wholesaler right before Christmas for $37,500. It was full of junk, a few squatters and smelled terrible, but was also full of potential, and we couldn’t be happier with the end results.
Here’s the before walk through video as a reminder of how dark and dingy it was.
Here’s a few after pictures from our rental listing
The whole renovation took about 60 days, if you take holidays and bad weather into account. We used a General Contractor to manage the interior renovation and oversee any work, and we used our own subs for the exterior work. There is no way we would have been able to handle a project of this scale on that timeline, so we were happy we hired it out.
Not only was this our first time purchasing off market from a wholesaler, it was also our first time using a hard money loan. Total renovation and holding costs for the hard money loan we used came out to be a little under $50k. This covered a six person three day clean out project, complete interior remodel including new flooring in kitchen/bath, refinishing the existing hardwood and cabinets, exterior painted, new windows, new appliances, HVAC, and electric panel (sure I’m forgetting something). We also did some extras to help reduce any maintenance or expenses in the foreseeable future, such as replacing sections of the fence, trimming all trees, removing several, and installing automatic garage door openers.
Since this was our first time working with a hard money loan, I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it was pretty easy. We closed on the home in under two weeks of looking at it and it was easy to get the renovation money. We had to put 10% of our own money down for the hard money loan, so right around $8,000. We had a 50/40/10 arrangement with our contractor, so our lender needed a statement of work upfront and then did a walk through at the 50% mark and we received the funds wired to our account same day. I will say the hard money lenders definitely make a profit, so we will also do a better job next time looking at a few options and seeing if we can find one with better rates or look at private lending options. Luckily, even with the high fees, the numbers still made sense on this house, even with us going a little over our initial renovation budget.
So, if you’re keeping track of the BRRRR, I’ve covered the buy, rehab and rent piece so far. We were using a private lender to do our 30 year cash out refi, and had completed all of the paperwork, jumped through all the hoops, and were just waiting on the appraisal, which was scheduled for this past Tuesday. Well, the appraiser didn’t let us know he wasn’t coming and just didn’t show, and then an hour later, we got an email from our lender that they are pausing their 30 year cash out lending program due to COVID-19. So, well, that was a really really frustrating email to receive. BUT, it means we now just have to wait until June, when we have owned the home for 6 months, and will use our traditional lender and look to be approved based on us as borrowers opposed to off the asset. (as long as they are still doing investment property loans..who knows with all the craziness going on right now what the world will be like in June)
So we have two things that are currently out of our control left on this one. 1) The appraisal-we need it to appraise at $120-125k for us to be at a 75% LTV to pull all of our money out and pay off the hard money loan. This is in line with other homes in the area, and ours has some extras, such as a huge corner lot, unfinished basement, and a detached garage. Worst case scenario, if it appraised below or the housing market crashes between now and June, then we would just end up keeping some of our own money in, right around $10,000 of our own or possibly more if it appraises super low, which we are comfortable with doing if needed. 2) Being able to even get financing. I’m just not sure how the current state of the market and the pandemic will impact cash out refinancing for investors 90 days from now. Assuming they may tighten up their requirements or may want to steer clear of cash out refis all together..who knows. So all we can do at this point is just wait and see and be prepared for a worst case scenario. This will put a hold on our goals of buying a few more houses using the BRRRR method for the time being, but we will be ready to purchase again when it makes sense.
In summary: Purchase Price of $37,500 and Renovation/Holding Costs around $50,000 for a total of $87,500. Hoping for an appraisal around $125,000 and currently getting $1,100 a month in rent.
How do you think we did or what questions do you have for me about the process?